MANTRA for Anorexia Nervosa
MANTRA for Anorexia Nervosa
The Centre for Eating, Weight and Body Image
About this event
A practical introduction to treating adult clients with Anorexia Nervosa using Maudsley Anorexia Nervosa Treatment for Adults (MANTRA).
In this 12-hour training workshop you will be taught the key elements and skills of MANTRA. MANTRA is a treatment developed at The Maudsley Clinic in London. In 2017, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommended MANTRA as a first-line treatment for adults with anorexia nervosa, and it is one of the accepted treatments in Australia for clients being seen under Eating Disorder Treatment and Management Plans (EDTPs). The workshop will include interactive and experiential components, and there will be particular focus on:
- The physiological and cognitive impacts of AN and the challenges in recovery that these changes present. We will discuss the goals of recovery from AN, irrespective of treatment approach.
- The treatment targets of AN specified in the MANTRA model and how to sequence and integrate these factors in treatment. Treatment targets include i) a rigid and inflexible thinking style, ii) an emotional style characterised by difficulty in self-expression and avoidance of affect, iii) positive beliefs about AN, and iv) responses of close others that tend to strengthen the AN.
- Therapeutic stance, including implementation of motivational interviewing in clients with eating disorders.
- Working with families to promote support and recovery from the eating disorder.
- Key strategies for increasing client engagement and motivation
- MANTRA case formulation
- Working with clients to improve emotional tolerance and cognitive flexibility
- Increasing the support of close others in treatment and recovery
- Participants will be sent pre-reading prior to the event.
- It is also suggested that participants purchase the treatment manual for MANTRA: Schmidt, U., Startup H., & Treasure, J. (2019). A cognitive-intpersonal therapy workbook for treating Anorexia Nervosa: The Maudsley Model. Routledge.
Additional event details
- Successful completion of Inside Out Institute’s Eating Disorders Essentials Training (https://insideoutinstitute.org.au/resource-library/the-essentials-training-clinicians-in-eating-disorders) or equivalent is a minimum required pre-requisite.
- A discount is available for students. Please email email@example.com with proof of both a valid student ID and full-time enrolment to receive the discount code.
Victorian private ED clinicians networking meeting - COVID 19 challenges
An online meeting to discuss what have been the challenges,…Read more
CBT-E Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Eating Disorders
This series of four, 4-hour online workshop modules provides a…Read more
Body Project Australia Online Training
Body Project Australia is a group-based early intervention program that…Read more
Virtual ICED 2020
Registration for Virtual ICED 2020 is now open!
DBT-E: Introducing DBT as a treatment for eating disorders
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) was developed for the treatment of…Read more
Temperaments Based Treatment with Support (TBT-S) Webinar
At this webinar, Adapting TBS-T to the Australian setting, Dr…Read more
Cognitive Behavioural Guided Self-Help (CBT-GSH)
Helping clients overcome Bulimia, Binge Eating & Sub-clinical Disordered Eating:…Read more
Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders - Presented by Dr Susan Simpson
This training will provide an opportunity to learn powerful techniques…Read more
Give us feedback!
We will continue throughout 2020 to update and improve the NEDC website and welcome any feedback you may have on the site.Provide feedback