Introduction to Schema Therapy
Introduction to Schema Therapy
About this event
Course 1 (Days 1 & 2) – Introduction to the Schema model with Eating Disorders\
Course 2 (Day 3) – Specific Interventions with Eating Disorders
The workshop will provide therapists with an opportunity to learn powerful techniques for working with eating disorders, including those with entrenched beliefs, high complexity and comorbidity (e.g., OCD, rigid personality traits, PTSD). Anyone interested in learning to apply the schema therapy mode work to assist people with eating disorders would benefit from this workshop.
The workshop will provide participants with practical experience and guidance in the use of powerful techniques, including imagery rescripting, chair work and other techniques for change. Videos and demonstrations will be used to illustrate experiential change techniques. Training will specifically include working with emotional modes, limited reparenting skills, bypassing avoidant or overcompensatory coping modes, and challenging punitive or guilt-inducing thinking patterns that drive eating disorder behaviours. Participants will receive handouts that they can use in their clinical work.
Date: January 30 and 31, 2023
- To recognise the links between emotional needs and disordered eating
- How to recognise & work with schema modes relevant to people with eating disorders
- How to conceptualise clients’ eating disorder symptoms & comorbidities using a schema mode map
- How to apply cognitive, experiential, and interpersonal strategies for change, including chairwork and imagery
- Rescripting, with an emphasis on deeper level change with core beliefs/schemas
- Methods for setting limits on self-defeating ’inner critic’ modes
- Methods for strengthening the client’s ‘Wise Self’ mode in treatment.
1. Simpson, S. & Smith, E. (Eds.) (2019). Schema Therapy for Eating Disorders: Theory and Practice for Individual and Group Settings. Routledge.
2. To familiarise yourself with the schema therapy mode model before the training, please read this chapter (‘Schemas, Modes Summary’, Ch 2 Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Schema Therapy) which provides a good overview of the Schema Therapy Mode Model.
3. A chapter on the topic of schema therapy for eating disorders from the Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Schema Therapy, and a brief Schema Therapy Clients Guide
Additional Event Information:
An early bird discount of 10% will be available until the end of August 2022 using the code EARLY2022
This event will be presented via zoom. The link will be provided to attendees prior to the event. Training will not be recorded.
Claire Burton presents 12 hrs of online training in ARFID…Read more
For professionals working with young people
This introductory session provides an…
This workshop provides an introduction to understanding, identifying, assessing, and…Read more
Brain Stimulation for Eating Disorders with UK Professor Ulrike Schmidt,…Read more
WA event: Eating Disorders – Masterclass for Dietitians Advanced Dietetic Practice Workshop on the Management of Eating Disorders for Youth and Adults
This collaborative workshop will include information on:
- Identifying and managing…
WA event: Eating Disorders Essentials 1 Day Workshop for Mental Health Nurses on Management of Eating Disorders in Adults
Presenters: Fintan O’Looney, Jan Fountaine, Mel Edwin.
This collaborative workshop will…
Give us feedback!
We will continue throughout 2020 to update and improve the NEDC website and welcome any feedback you may have on the site.Provide feedback