RESET - A Conversation About Boys' Body Image
About this resource
Australia's first digital body image program for boys, RESET is a digital education program designed to start a deeper conversation with boys about negative body image and eating disorders. In today's society the pressures on young boys to look and be a certain way are increasing and body dissatisfaction is on the rise.
RESET supports schools and other youth organisations in raising awareness of body image issues, reducing stigma and encouraging help seeking in boys.
It’s about helping adolescent boys realise that they don’t have to sign-up to society’s ‘rules’ about male bodies and masculinity, that bottling-up feelings is never good and talking about this kind of thing and asking for help is OK.
Why is this program important?
- Over-exercising and an extreme pursuit for muscle growth are often perceived as healthy behaviours for males
- 90% of adolescent boys report that they exercise primarily to gain muscle
- Two thirds of adolescent boys report making specific changes to their diet to gain muscle
- 25% of people experiencing Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa are male
- Almost an equal number of males and females experience binge eating disorder
- Eating disorders have one of the highest mortality rates of all psychiatric disorders
- Suicide rates are 20% higher in eating disorder patients than in the general population
Issue 67 | New resources and developments
NEDC e-BulletinContents: Editor’s Note Credentialing Report New PHN portal New CBT Guided Self-Help fact sheet Latest Studies Further Reading Editor’s Note:Welcome to the latest issue of the NEDC e-Bulletin, which is packed with links to new information and resources for our members.Read more
Issue 58 I The Link Between Drugs, Alcohol and Eating Disorders
Drugs, Alcohol and Eating Disorders Editor’s Note: Welcome to a New Year with the NEDC!Read more
Issue 55 | Theory and Practice: Screening and Assessment Tools for Eating Disorders
Theory and Practice: Screening and Assessment Tools for Eating DisordersEditor's Note: Welcome to this edition of the NEDC e-Bulletin, where we delve into the NEDC’s recent and upcoming collaborations with local PHNs and then examine different practical screening and assessment tools to help you detect the possible presence of an eating disorder.Read more
National Athletic Trainers' Association Position Statement: Preventing, detecting, and managing disordered eating in athletes
OBJECTIVE: To present recommendations for the prevention, detection, and comprehensive management of disordered eating (DE) in athletes.Read more